Monday 17 August 2015

Tree Felling



An old elm tree dead two summers
Bare grey branches stretch among the green
Reminding us to take it down and log it for the winter
 - a job put off too long.

The task required
my muscle
and the wisdom of my father-in-law.
Me: action, enthusiasm.
Him: patience, considering, planning, tools, experience.
Familiar pattern in the trees.

Thirty feet up in the canopy
I am a long way from laptop computers and the information superhighway.
I see a deer follow her own path.
There are adders basking in the hot grass below.

A change of perspective, seeing the copse from above
 - silver-green leaves.
I am over forty now so do not admit a little vertigo to the others.
I strain and sweat with a powerful German electric saw,
 finely balanced, legs wobbling.
For the last part I use a hand saw, sweat in my eyes.

I climb down and join the others with a rope
Reminded of the strength and scale of the tree.
The top creaks – sound in the valley – cracks
 and with violence crashes through the undergrowth.
Removal of the rope with shaking hands
 wipe my brow.
Logging it will take another day.

viii.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment